May 11, 2008

I Cut Ma Brotherrr In Half

Hmmm so I finally started this new blog that I've been sitting on for like a year, so go check it out: The Thrifty Witch. I believe that's blog #4 that I write on.... no I don't have an obsession...

Actually, there is going to be another new one sometime in the future, all about books baby!

So what else is new...

I'm losing weight. Doing it the slow, healthy way so it stays off for good. I don't want to get skinny though, I'd rather still have a little meat on the bones, the way women were meant to be thank you.

The only part I have trouble with is the exercise because it really hurts! LOL I know you're saying "duh, of course it hurts!" but I have to contend with the pain of Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia which means it doesn't get much easier as I go along, it all depends on what my body wants to throw at me any particular day.

I'm trying to find out if ODSP will cover my transportation to the YWCA so I can go swimming, but with the way they work (under the government) I'm sure it will be quite the battle.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of weight loss, I might as well rant about the whole diet thing:

Diets don't work!

When someone goes on a diet, they are usually depriving themselves of a certain food group, taking some sort of pill, or doing some other thing that isn't good for the health.

If the said diet actually works and the weight comes off (that is, if their body hasn't had enough and they don't end up binging, thus repeating the whole diet-roller coaster that reeks havoc on the body) the person usually goes back to eating the way they did before and they will gain even more weight back because the body will want to store more fat since it's felt like it has been starved during the diet period.

It's a vicious cycle and it is abusive to the body.

The only thing that is going to work and be permanent is changing the way you eat FOREVER. That sounds scary, so the key to doing that is by NOT depriving yourself, because if you do, it just won't work.

The simple fact is if you want to lose weight, you have to use more energy than you take in. You simply cannot eat too much! Sounds simple so why do most people fail?

Because they're dieting! lol

The only weight loss plans I've ever heard of actually working working are calorie counting, and weight watchers - they are basically the same exact thing except with weight watchers you use points which I find makes counting a hell of a lot simpler and thus easier to do.

The reason you need to count the calories is so you can make sure you are not taking in too many, and so that you can learn more about the foods you're eating and know that in fact a bagel counts as two servings and a seemingly innocent bran muffin packs a ton of calories (and I'm talking sometimes around 500 or more!).



Keep counting and you will eventually begin to memorize a whole lot of it, making it easier to continue eating properly.

But remember, you cannot deprive yourself! That's just asking for disaster. The key is moderation and common sense.

You have to eat healthy. Make it more interesting and more beneficial by getting many different kinds of produce so you don't end up getting sick of anything - makes it more fun too.

Hell I'm doing it and I hardly ever eat salad, imagine that lol.

People eat too much. Once you start eating less, you'll probably wonder how you could have eaten as much as you did before you started.



Don't be an idiot! Know yourself. What are your weaknesses? I can't keep certain foods in the house because I just KNOW I will binge on them, so I just eat those foods outside the home, in moderation.

Pop is a culprit. Regular pop is loaded with sugar, which is very fattening, and diet pop is loaded with sodium and aspartame, which will bloat you and do all kinds of horrible things to your body. I refuse to keep it in my house so if I want some I have to go buy a can at the store and I won't drink diet so I really have to think about whether I want to waste those points/calories on a can of pop.



But if you don't eat things you like, you will regret it. You will eventually give in and probably binge because you've been deprived for so long. So the ticket is to eat what you like, but not all the time and in moderation.

I'm doing it right now and I don't feel AT ALL like I'm dieting. And I'm losing weight. Since I know it will take a very long time to lose all the weight I want to lose, I know what I'm doing is right because I feel confident that I'll have no problem eating this way for the rest of my life. It's just more satisfying over-all because when you eat right, you feel so much better and hardly ever crave bad foods.

I could go on about this subject forever so I'll just add a few more things:

You HAVE to eat regularly. This has been a huge problem for me in the past (and still sometimes now). But the fact is, it screws up your metabolism if you don't eat every few hours. If you don't eat regularly, you will not lose weight, plain and simple.

You cannot weigh yourself too often! This will just screw with your mind and make you obsessed with the numbers because the body fluctuates in weight all the time. I'd say once a week is your best bet.



Water is so important. We're made up of mostly water and the body functions at its best when we are drinking enough of it. Water helps you lose weight, it cleanses the systems, helps flush things out, and makes the body perform it's functions better.

Don't get depressed if you have a week of not losing any weight, or even gaining a bit of weight: it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong so just keep at it and you'll probably see results next time. If the pattern keeps repeating though, you have to look closer at what you're doing and possibly make some changes.

Anyways, I'm sure that's enough ranting for now lol.

I'll close with an accomplishment =) I make these disgustingly delicious brownies that Don is in love with. They're just too good not to eat lol. So I made him a batch yesterday and whilst I was baking, I counted up how many points they were so that I could safely enjoy one for myself and know how much I was putting in my body.

This is what I'm talking about with being smart and moderation. This way you are fully satisfied and don't have to explain to everyone why you cannot eat dessert lol.

Alright, enough.

Happy mother's day to all the good ones out there, and especially my own mum who is the bestest and would give her arm and leg up for her children - I love you!!!

-Love Marylin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading <3